Dev Journal - Super Space Surge (6)

Okay, after getting some constructive feedback from Tigsource and Unity, I've been working on updating everything and making my game feel exactly how I want to feel --all the while, making it feel natural, unique, and fun to outside players as well.

I feel like my biggest hurdle will be trying to make Super Space Surge appeal to player who are not fans of bullet hell games. Although, people who enjoy such games have reviewed me and said they liked it, the fellows who are not so keen on this style of game quickly gave harsher reviews. (Though they were the most helpful, because it really shown where the game's biggest flaws currently were.) I'm sure by the time I release the second demo (whenever that'll be. Probably toward the end of February. One demo per month? Sounds good. Hopefully I'll be done by March!)

Now, on to new features I've added so far:
  • Inverted color effects. I'm really just playing with this too much. You die, the screen does an inverted color ripple out from the player. 
  • Same with the boss, when it dies, except a lot more dramatic.
  • I've added screen shaking when you're hit, when you die, and when a boss dies; each with strengthening force depending on what kind of hit it was.
  • Made the first level a lot easier. (A whole lot easier, since the biggest complaint was: "I can't get past the first level.")
  • I've added more graphics, more interface ideas, and such that I'm still playing with. Primarily, I'm going to have instructions for how to play appear when the game first starts, and fade out toward the beginning.
  • I've also labeled certain GUI elements, so there's no ambiguity. 
  • I'm also playing around with the actual controls. Everything I try to think of though, just doesn't feel right. 
    • Z - Shoot; X - Bomb; Shift - Focused; Arrow Keys - Move.
      • That one feels the most natural to me.
    • A - Shoot; S - Bomb; Shift - Focused; Arrow Keys - Move.
      • Took a little getting used to, but works just the same! 
    • LClick - Shoot; RClick - Bomb; Shift - Focused; WASD - Movement.
      • It could work, my own hand-eye-coordination is too weak in my left hand for that to work effectively.
So, these are the new features added so far. I plan on adding more things once I get around to it.
  • I want to mess with the background and have a dual-layer background. For example, the main background is a giant skybox which I can rotate around; switch the movement at random; change and fade textures; etc. While the overlay background is a transparent "star" sheet that moves at a different speed. Therefore giving the effect of "moving faster than you really are." 
  • I also want to add a plethora of visual effects for EVERYTHING. 
    • Though, I'd rather not have everyone click "start game" and having 50lbs of glitter attack their screen. I'll still figure stuff out.
  • I'd love to add weird effects like gravity pools, or something. (I'm not sure!) Maybe I'll have a level where you have to maneuver through an asteroid field, but they're large enough they have a slight pull on gravity. 
Well, there you have it. That's the latest updates on Super Space Surge! 
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave feedback, comments, or concerns here!